Thursday, July 22, 2010

express lane

I'm not sure what rock I've been hiding under but apparently Express does have a point of view. I don't know how I established this opinion but for many years I have just assumed that they were just another overpriced store that perpetuated weak trends without making any statements themselves. Perhaps that evaluation was true and they have recently turned it all around, maybe they've been geniuses all along and I had no idea, either way I was pleasantly surprised when looking over their site today (online window shopping is my favorite form of torture when my paycheck is only a week away) and found a few must-have pieces: a geometric print sequin tunic dress, a BANANAS faux fur vest (a la RZ herself), and a sequin mini skirt. Why I suddenly think I am a stylist slash assume anyone cares how I would wear these pieces is a mystery at the moment but it seemed like a meaningful endeavor at the time. Also there is a moral here: no matter how much you die for something, if you can't imagine it as a component of an entire outfit (or several different outfits at that), you'll probably never wear it. With that, I will begin the looks and hope that this wasn't a complete waste.

1. geometric print sequin tunic dress: i almost had a panic attack when i saw this dress, i absolutely love it and could see myself in it no question. with that kind of immediate passion, i know i wouldn't be able to save it for a special occasion so, certain elements are necessary to dress it down. a levis jean jacket and dolce vita biker boots make for a very cool day look, i might even add some backseam tights or fishnets for a little extra edge. i adore playing feminine/sexy pieces against rougher/more masculine items - i think this look perfectly illustrates why.

2. sequin mini skirt: i know, the sequins are a little redundant but this look is completely different. skirts are a recent obsession of mine and this one is particularly beautiful. because the skirt itself has so much sparkle, i would wear a very basic slouchy black tee, like this one from forever 21, tucked in to make my legs look that much longer and off my shoulder to give me that rocker vibe. some people are so over the whole animal print thing, i know but i don't think i can ever turn down a good leopard so this jessica simpson platform was a given. i love that even though the print is unexpected, it plays up the glamour of the skirt while maintaining a little edge. to me, this screams hot club outfit.


3. faux fur vest: you know how earlier i said i didn't know why i suddenly think i'm a stylist? that might have been a lie. i have been watching entirely too much of the rachel zoe project as of late and i think the way i white-knuckled my laptop after seeing this beauty makes that obvious. just now realizing that all 3 looks have sequins . . . whatever, i'm a little too into embellishments but who cares - it's fabulous. back to the outfit. at first i was thinking an lbd with this vest, which could easily be done, but i think the grey is much fresher. the long sleeve mini from american apparel gives the dress enough presence that it doesn't get overpowered by the vest. and the shoes - do they really need an explanation? they are OOC(out of control for all you zoe illiterates out there) - cage wedges with chain detail? i mean come on, it's over. to all you wonderful people making those little pieces of heaven over at urbanog - genius.



- mallorie

No comments:

Post a Comment